Monday, September 8, 2008

Moment of Clarity

Every once in a while, we can get a moment of clarity that forces us to rethink what we're doing, and why we're doing it. Mine came while eating a Milky Way caramel candy.

I was wondering how a manufacturer could decide to put such a valuable brand name on something so waxy and distinctly lacking in cocoa flavor. As I typed the words "slight notes of play-doh," I wondered to myself, is this where I wanted to be when I started this project? Am I really never going to say a nice word about a domestic candy? And what will happen when, as seems inevitable, I run out of different candies to write about? I grabbed a lychee gummy just to take the sickly caramel taste out of my mouth.

I've thought hard about what this blog means, not just to me, but to us. All of us, including people like a certain high level functionary who still doesn't know it exists, but knows that the candy is good. It is good. And it's gotten better because of this blog, and because of all of you.

And so I rededicate myself to this project. There's no way to know what it's going to become, only that it will be.

I would like to thank you for bearing with me during what has been a hard week, my septimanus horribilis. I'd also like to thank Milky Way's insipid caramel candy, for "grantin me this moment of clarity, this moment of honesty. The world'll feel my truths through my hard knock life time, my gift and the curse. I gave you volume after volume of my work, so you can feel my truths."

CB

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very existential, Senor Sartre. Now how about some more of those totally weirdo, wacko candies that we have come to depend on. Can we get any candies that contain the wors "sweat" in the name?